Going With The Flow
is a new form of worship here at Acomb Methodist Church. It starts at 9:30am and finishes at 11:30am. Although we are very relaxed about this, and you are free to drop in when you can, and leave when you have to. At present it takes place on the fouth Sunday morning of months with five Sundays. I know that is confusing, but dates are in the events diary!
Going The Flow uses the rear hall and rooms of the church, as we meet, the main church also hosts a preacher and a traditional worship service which starts at 10:30 a.m. You can always come to Going With the Flow and then join them half way!
Going The Flow is designed for the whole family, but unlike our family services, and Messy church, it offers choices as the worship proceeds.
A rough outline for the morning is as follows…
- Arrive and have a cup of tea/coffee and a bacon sandwiches. The kids have some worksheets and craft stuff to work on.
- As a family, have a go at a Messy church style craft which introduces our theme for the day.
- Come together, to sing a song together, and share a brief prayer, before then dividing for the story time.
- During story time, the children go for a ‘Godly Play Story’ – which is a story telling technique using beuatiful props. They are encouraged to wonder afterwards together about the story.
- The adults meanwhile will be introduced to the story, and the bible text behind it, and given some background to help them understand it. They too are challenged with some wondering questions.
- After the stories, everyone gathers together and have an option of different zones in which to respond.
- A conversation zone, with questions, newspapers and other things to stimulate a conversation about the theme.
- A quiet zone, with meditations, reflections, and creative prayer responses.
- A craft zone, with a variety of craft materials to allow a personal response to the story.
- The story zone…the children particularly are encouraged to retell the story for themselves using the visual props. They may do this for their parents.
- Finally, we gather to share our responses, our thoughts, to sing together and pray together and joining those who have been worshipping in the main church for coffee.